The End Times are a prophesied apocalypse that will result in the destruction of the Warhammer fantasy world, as depicted in a series of novels and role-playing books. Dark portents are everywhere, with massive armies of monsters marching against the civilized Warhammer people. Whether the citizens like it or not, all they can do is fight to forestall the inevitable.
As a result of the ongoing cataclysm, the vile Skaven (who also appeared in fellow Warhammer game Blood Bowl II) have begun to march on the city of Ubersreik. The Skaven are a race of subterranean rat-like creatures that detest surface dwellers. It falls upon a small band of heroes to stop the hordes of rat-men from consuming the city.
Vermintide is a four-player online co-op game with five playable characters. Despite the fantasy setting, there is no healer class because the game aims for a strict Left 4 Dead-like level of challenge. Only one person can play as each hero, so if your character of choice is taken, you'll have to choose someone else.
- Witch Hunter: A zealous man who fights with a rapier and pistol, though he can wield hammers and crossbows as well. He treats the Waywatcher rather harshly in dialog, but remains my class of choice.
- Bright Wizard: She carries a staff that shoots fire and thus does not require ammunition for ranged attacks. However, she will be consumed by flames and die if she uses it too much without cooling off.
- Dwarf Ranger: Always chipper, this stout fellow fights fiercely with axe, hammer, crossbow, and shield.
- Waywatcher: A female Wood Elf who excels with daggers, swords, and bows. Her hunched frame can easily be mistaken for that of a Skaven, resulting in player confusion.
- Empire Soldier: A disgraced soldier with impressive facial hair, he uses pistols for ranged attacks and swords, hammers and maces up close.
I really liked the game, although it can get really repetitive really fast. I know it's basically a grinding game but I just can't spend 100+ hours just to get a good weapon or something like that, that is probably why I could never get into Destiny. The game does have it's flaws (slow matchmaking, bugs, crashes) but maybe it was just me so don't hold me on that.
You might be wondering why am I reviewing a game that came out in 2015? Well the developer was nice to give us a key so people can be prepared for the sequel that's coming out early 2018 and I can't wait to try it out.
The story is better when you catch up with the Warhammer lore, if you don't know anything about the franchise, it's still good but a little shallow.
Even for a 2 year old game this game looks beautiful. It really shows that dark, paranoid feeling that something can and will attack you when you least expect it. One of my favourite features in this game is how they made the sword fighting work. Enemies react to where you strike them, for example in higher difficulties you have to hit enemies at least 3 times before they die, but with a well placed swing you can kill multiple enemies just by decapitating them (dark I know) .
Might be my sadistic nature but I really enjoy those slashing sounds when you hit enemies, especially when you are surrounded and you can hear the blood splattering around you, voice acting could be better but I won't hold that against them.
FINAL SCORE: 9/10
I've set aside that I don't like endless grinding in games, because I really had fun with this game. If you have friends definitely try it out, it will be a lot of fun, if not still try it, you might get hours of fun, and meet new people. I forgot to mention that the community in this game is great and helpful. So yeah, either get this game and see if it's your cup of tea, or wait for the sequel and try that one out, I promise you will have fun either way.